Vision, Purpose & Values
The Illawarra is, as one of the most culturally diverse regions in Australia, home to people who were born in well over 50 different countries. MCCI works closely with Multicultural NSW to promote the principles of a multicultural society as outlined in the Multicultural NSW Act 2000.
In essence, these principles commit us and the people of NSW to:
- share democratic values, governed by the rule of law and promote a unified commitment to Australia
- accept that we have diverse linguistic, religious and ancestral backgrounds
- create opportunities for all people to participate in all aspects of public life
- respect and provide for different cultures, languages and religions, with English recognised as our common language
- provide the greatest possible access to government programs and services
- promote and maximise the value of our diverse cultural and linguistic heritage to develop NSW.
Read more about Multicultural NSW.
An inclusive society that embraces, celebrates and values cultural diversity.
We are a leadership voice for culturally and linguistically diverse communities, providing services that meet community needs, promote harmony and social inclusion, and build community capacity.
- Diversity – We believe in an inclusive and culturally diverse society
- Respect – We value the contributions of all people, celebrate diversity, and uphold the dignity of others
- Integrity – We always act in an open, honest, ethical and courageous way
- Empowerment – We advocate and actively support others to realise their aspirations and goals
- Collaboration – We work cooperatively with others who share our vision, values and purpose
- Hope – We are inspired by the potential that change can bring to our community
We will provide strong advocacy and representation, while building the capacity of culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
- We develop a proactive public perspective on multiculturalism, diversity, and social inclusion that is constructive, respectful, and evidence-informed
- Our approach to advocacy ensures that we have mechanisms to engage effectively with the broad range of culturally & linguistically diverse communities
- We build the capacity and participation of culturally & linguistically diverse communities by providing information, advice, and giving member-support to help achieve their purpose.
Culturally Appropriate Care & Support
We will effectively engage and support those who need our help with vibrant, connected, and culturally appropriate services.
- Services and programs are designed and delivered by placing customers and communities at the centre of our work always
- We communicate openly and effectively to establish and maintain trust with our customers and communities
- Our services meet or exceed our customer’s expectations, quality standards, and operate within a culture of continuous improvement.
We will develop stronger relationships, programs, and services with those who share our values and purpose.
- We pursue strengthened partnerships with government, business, non-government organisations and the community to achieve our purpose
- Others work with us because our reputation is one of a trusted, respected, and results-driven community partner in culturally appropriate care, representation, and support
We will continue to be financially sustainable, pursue new ideas and services, and implement leading governance standards.
- As we grow and extend our work, each service is financially sustainable and contributes to our purpose
- Our business systems and processes are robust, efficient, adaptable, and useful for our purpose
- We understand and anticipate our community's needs now and for the future
Staff & Volunteers
We will ensure our dedicated staff and volunteers are supported by creating a culture of excellence, teamwork, and continuous improvement.
- We attract and retain high quality staff and volunteers who apply our values in everything that they do
- Our staff and volunteers are supported to meet the changing needs of our community, our customers, and our sector
- Our staff and volunteers feel valued as part of a high performing team that is deeply connected to our purpose